The Scene Report: For the Record "Panther Rock" by Monteith

 






The Scene: For the Record 


Artist: Monteith

 

Album: Panther Rock 


Released: August 18th 2026 


Tracks: 9 


Time: 43:13 


 


The Band:  Colton Monteith - Drums 


                     Matt Murray – Bass


                     Daniel Monteith – Guitars, Vocals


 


 


Editor’s Note: (Some Context, for our first “On Record”) 


 


         There was a time in my youth, that, if the music I was listening too, didn’t have electric guitars plugged into a stack of Marshall Amps…well, I wasn’t interested. I cut my teeth on mostly rock, hard-rock, metal (and most of its sub-genres). And as I got older, I branched out and my musical tastes evolved. But what can happen as we get older, is that we start to view the music we grew up on as being too childish, because we’re adults now, and we must put away these immature things.  I understand that philosophy with toys, because, I don’t have any Gi-Joes, that I regularly play with. But I always thought music was timeless and should be treated as such.  I also can’t understand the concept of reviewing something (anything, for that matter) if you don’t have an interest in the subject.  Here is what I mean. If you don’t like Scary Movies, but you’re a movie critic…DON’T review it.  You won’t get it anyways.  These days the rock/metal genre is filled with uninspired, nostalgic records or bands that just shouldn’t do it. And there are thousands of songs now up loaded to streaming platforms daily. But if your lucky a friend will get you hip, to some music that will make a lasting impression.  The Scene wants to be that friend. In short when it comes to local artists making and releasing new music.   For the record: “if you Care, please share”. 


 


The Review:  Monteith’s Panther Rock 


 


How it was recorded:


 


… The Band would like you to know, “It lives up to being distinctly 80’s heavy metal while also honouring what the Black Album went on to achieve with Metallica. Very obvious Thin Lizzy influence as well during a few parts. Also, glockenspiel and “Girl Gone Bad”-styled guitar harmonics overdubbed during the bridges These songs were recorded by me and Colton playing them off the floor together, then adding the missing parts back in. 


                                                 Daniel Monteith 


 


Q1 Without getting too personal is the title track a summation of what the band has endured in order to get to this point. 


 


Answer: In a manner of speaking, yes. And you could say they are all about that. It’s about wanting to find the better way to do something and not get swept away by defeats. D.M. 


 


For the Record; 


 


            “Panther Rock was recorded with 100% AI. “ 


                AI being “Animal Instinct”


                                                              The Scene 


 


               From the opening riff, off of the first track “Magma Diver” you can tell that “Monteith” is building upon their last release of “Bad Arcade Machine”.  The song also let’s you know, what is to come.  And that is nine songs that have bite, and teeth.  It is called “Panther Rock”, after all. And it truly is an ode to the 80s, without being a retread.  Even the album cover takes me back to that time period (Think Y&T).  One of the best things about the album is that it doesn’t pretend to be anything except what it is…unadulterated metal with tinges of every rock influence that has made a difference in Monteith’s Life (Daniel). I feel Lemmy (Motorhead) would have liked this record, for that fact alone.                               

Stand-out tracks are Panther Rock, Magma Diver & Flowers in her Hair.  And especially Vespertine (That one makes me want to listen to all my Raging Slab albums). 


  Monteith will be on stage at the Woodstock Legion with “Customer Service & Layney Ross.   Show starts at 7:00. Tickets are $20.00 at the door.  Come out and support local live music. 


The Scene 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gig Report - Peter Brennan @ Cross Creek Brewing

The Scene Report - Woodstock NB Ribfest 2026 (Music Spotlight)

Brass Camel; Listen Up "They've come for our ears"