The Scene: In Conversation w/ Jacob Rose (Ray of Light)

 



The Scene: In Conversation w/ Jacob Rose (Ray of Light)


The Back Story:


“Behind every grandson who believes in himself is a grandma who

believed in him first”


What is it that makes a relationship between a grandmother and

grandson so special? Some of them start early, while they are seated

next to one another at church. And others develop over a period of

time naturally. Nanny’s always make the best cookies and sounding

boards. Of course, there have been some classic examples of this

throughout pop culture-history as well. Esther & John-Boy from the

Walton’s TV show would be a prime example of how the subtle

nurturing from Nan can shape a grandson’s life, for the better. But

that is make-believe, and was well written for a television show. So, it

is only fitting that I tell you about one that is very real. Let’s get into

it!


Jacob Rose credits his late grandmother as a primary musical

and personal inspiration. He credits her with shaping his view and

perspective on how he sees his music and life, in general, by the

support she gave him. In short…he wouldn’t be making music today

without the lasting impact she had on his Life. Those are the

sentiments expressed by Jacob when he was interviewed earlier in

August, of this year. Since he was playing the Fidelio Café on August

21 st, I called him and we had a conversation about it. As well, as other

things too.


In Conversation:


Q: What would ever possess a musician/solo-artist to move from

Alberta to small-town life in New Brunswick?

The simplest answer is “Follow the friendship”. While

continuing his secondary education out west, Jacob developed a

relationship with some native New Brunswick students, musicians.

That relationship led to him moving to St. Stephen, NB to continue his

education and further develop his song writing and Music career on a

very collaborative level. What happened next is part of a love

story…his, love story. He already loved the people, and soon he began

to love the land. One of his songs is called “Wharfbound”. It is about a

craft beer that is brewed in St. Andrews, NB. There is a lyric in the

song that reads, “I long to be Warfbound, it’s the warmest feeling I

have found. In my home town.” He isn’t singing about Calgary,

Alberta. He’s singing about the seaside of Charlotte County.


Q: Was the 2025 International Songwriters competition an enjoyable

experience? 


Submission: Hold Your Head Up”


“Not that you would think that the outcome was the end all

be all on measuring your talent. It is very satisfying to know that there

were over 10,000 song submissions and yours made it into the final

1500 or so.” Says, Jacob. The song itself is also personal to Jacob,

because a good song writer tends to write about what they know. It’s

about not giving up on love, and fighting for that love and learning to

grow in a relationship. “Stubborn” if you will. Jacob’s word, not mine.

It’s about that time in a relationship when you realize that wants and

needs are to separate things. Jacob, tells me “I had a lot of growing up

to do”. He’s been married for three years now and is a loving

Husband and Father. The song itself is one of hope.


Q: Tell me about your grandmother…


“She always believed in me, but it wasn’t so much in her

words…she wasn’t a pep-talk type of person. No, you should do this

with your life, lectures. Nor did she teach me how to play an

instrument. She provided me with an environment where I was

allowed to flourish. She was nurturing, encouraging and listened to

what I have to say.” As I got older our relationship deepened. And I

would talk to her on the phone regularly. But ten days before he got

married…his grandmother passed away. She had made Jacob a special

quilt as a wedding gift, for his wedding. And she sent mailed it to New

Brunswick in advance of the wedding. “I felt like, I was shot in the

back of the head”. I went through a period of depression, where I

couldn’t write anything and didn’t want to write anything. “Oh,

snippets of songs here and there, but I quickly abandoned them.” And

he would dream of her. And find peace and comfort within that.

Eventually he did return to song writing. Jacob wrote a song about his

grandmother. A song that is so personal to him, I won’t give the title

away. Because, it is not my story to tell. It is his.

Here is what I can tell you, and that is, in all of Jacob Roses’s

songs you will find one common thread, hope. The same thread that

his grandmother used to stich the quilt she made for him is woven

into all of songs. Here is a quote from Jacob…

“Art doesn’t tell you what to think, it helps you feel something”


On August 21 st go to the Fidelio Café and see for yourself how amazing

a songwriter and performer Jacob Rose is. Especially if you love

soulful folk and music rooted in sincerity. The show starts at 6:00pm.

And the doors open at 5:45.


The Scene



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gig Report - Peter Brennan @ Cross Creek Brewing

The Scene Report - Woodstock NB Ribfest 2026 (Music Spotlight)

Brass Camel; Listen Up "They've come for our ears"