The Scene Report - Tin Pan Darlings – Post Cards from the Heart









Tin Pan Darlings – Postcards from the Heart


 The Set Up: 


      In Jazz; especially improvisational or free-form. Perspective and perception are interconnected. Each musician will see the notes or perceive them differently, based on their perspective or past experiences on how they should be, or have been played. The two are interconnected. Jazz is the only genre of music, that I know of, where you can have a song introduction by the key it’s in, and that’s it. Whoever has the microphone will encourage the audience to stay with the band and hopefully they can bring it to a proper conclusion. 


     Now let’s take a look at perception and perspective as it pertains to the “Roaring Twenties” and the “Dirty Thirties”.  Back to a time that conjures up memories of romanticism, ragtime and the birth of the golden age of music.  My perception of this era is one of wonder and excitement.  It had quality…food, music, books, because people took pride in their work and craftsmanship. The people were also more formal and exercised manners. However; recently I was given a fresh perspective of this era, which has altered my perception on this time period. 


    My new perspective on this subject; is back to a time that conjures up memories of racism, the great depression and war. It was full of sexism, and if a woman made a contribution, she was at best tolerated. And “Tin Pan Alley” was a prime example of this. (Now, I know some of you are reading this and thinking,” I thought this was an article about the Tin Pan Darlings?”) “Well, you’ll just have to stay with it and hopefully I can bring it to its proper conclusion.”) 


     Tin Pan Alley was the name given to an area in New York City where all the composers and lyricists of the day were based out of. This was during the period of the “Golden Age of Music”. Here are the numbers to consider. Out of the top 100 list of people who are singled out for their contributions to the “Tin Pan Era”, only four are women. Out of the top sixty songs. Only two were co-written by a woman, along with a man. Not even co-written by two women. I went down a rabbit hole, so to speak. I used Google & Bing for my searches. Searching for female jazz duos, I thought, it would give me some results, but to no avail. The closest was a top ten, jazz duo performance list of all-time. It had at #6 Carmen McCrae & Betty Carter “American Music Hall” 1987 in a one-off performance. Female jazz duos just don’t exist. Which is why, everything that you have read up until this point, should make you realize how special the “Tin Pan Darlings are and how Tracy & Amy Anderson; two sisters from Debec, New Brunswick are changing the way we perceive and listen to not just jazz, but music in general. Let’s get into it!  


Tin Pan Darlings – Post Cards from the Heart 


      If you aren’t familiar with the Anderson sisters, Tracy & Amy respectively. They are the co-leads of the Tin Pan Darlings. Tracy handles vocals and Amy play’s piano (and sings) , together and separately they write all the material. They are a musical Ying and Yang, both with the ability to complete each other’s notes. They both have degrees in music and have a tremendous amount of respect for their craft, and what it takes to be able to write and perform it. And they do all of this exceptionally. Specializing in the musical genre of jazz, Tracy has been compared to 14-time Grammy award winner, Ella Fitzgerald.  It’s not a stretch. I told Amy, her sister sings like somebody’s life depended on it, and it’s as almost like she is on a tight rope and every moment is a matter of life and breath.  This was her response, “That’s a fair assessment…there, is an intensity in jazz singing, well in some forms of jazz singing, that you do not get in other forms of music. Tracy is a person who challenges herself and doesn’t take the easy way out of what she could sing…but after all that is what jazz singing is all about.” And, there isn’t a question that Amy has the chops on piano, I think one of the things that makes her special is going in to any musical endeavor she wants to be the most prepared one in the room. Tracy says,” Yes, I would say Amy thrives on prep. Where I like to have a more improv approach and I like seeing “what’s going to happen” Even the great jazz pianist Mulgrew Miller has lamented if he could turn back time he would have practiced more.  


      As for their own music, the Tin Pan Darlings have a full-length album called “Inside a Melody” which was released in 2018. It features 9 songs in the traditional jazz format. It’s very good and would make a great introduction for someone who is just getting into the genre. Along with that they produced a silent movie also called “Inside a Melody “that is 40 minutes long to coincide with the album, The movie, written and directed by Amy, to go along with the album is the perfect combination of sound and vision.  


     It’s now 2026…post covid, and artists are thinking outside the box. I am constantly reading on how bands are not interested in making full length albums anymore. Today, they will go into the studio and cut & record a single when the mood strikes. Which takes us to the Tin Pan Darlings latest Project called: Post Cards; A series or collection of singles released at different times of the year. “The catalyst for this approach was a way to unlock many different musical styles…I get bored doing all the same thing, that’s just being human,” says Tracy. Her sister Amy concurs, “We are trying to do something more adventurous, with” Post Cards” we are taking you on a little musical trip, to new places/ genres. Places that could make you feel a bit uncomfortable and excited.”  The first “Post Card” is a song called Mid-Life Elegy   it was released last month (May 2026). The song is the vein of the Tin Pan Alley jazz style. Remember it’s only the first one, so it shouldn’t be a surprise, that the song is derivative of their foundation. I have my fingers crossed, that there will be another movie on the horizon after the series is completed.  The next song should be released in September, I think. It is called “Outside the Frame”. The song, written by and sung by Amy has a smidge of jazz with bluegrass sensibility. For those people who don’t want to wait until September, to hear the second one, you can watch the Tin Pan Darlings do it live from Dalhousie University July 7th at 12:00pm (AST). An event that promises to hold a few surprises. 


 Here is the link for their show. 


LIVE STREAM from DAL | Facebook


In closing: 


    I called this article “Post Cards from the Heart” because the best part of a Post Card is its personal touch. And the Anderson Sister’s put their Heart into everything they do. I caught up with Tracy on-line and spoke with Amy, in person at Connell House on Canada day. I think I might like to conduct more interviews there. It was a wonderful experience. 


The Scene 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gig Report - Peter Brennan @ Cross Creek Brewing

The Scene Report - Woodstock NB Ribfest 2026 (Music Spotlight)

Brass Camel; Listen Up "They've come for our ears"